Thursday, January 28, 2010

Coffee and tea

I come from a family of addicts.

I’m hooked to the teh-c from Ya Kun and Wang café. Sometimes, I go for the kopi-c. A cup after lunch has become the norm. I could have spent enough to get an air ticket to Japan after hundreds of days working in Suntec. The addiction started off with work in Toa Payoh when we ate snake every afternoon. Drinking teh-c was part of the daily activity which became a ritual.

My mom’s a coffee addict. She drinks and needs to drink 3 cups a day. I didn’t touch the bitter beverage until after college. My best friend then managed to convince (or was it ‘tricked’) me into trying, starting with a milky, frothy starbucks latte. After that, there was no turning back. Fell in love with Vietnam’s strong brew when I visited Hanoi in 2005. My favourite is ali culi though trung nyugen coffee is supposed to be the best. The addiction to coffee became more fatal when I started my current job with the daily talkshow boss. He stressed out so many people in the department that they started buying coffee for our daily self-help group session in the afternoons or right after the talkshows (morning and afternoon on alternate days). Well, that was at least one plus in this for me! With the change of boss who started buying us coffee/tea in the afternoon, I’m back to my Toa Payoh good old days! And on his account!

As for my favorite drink, it’s gotta be the HK milk tea! The standard is so uniformly good throughout HK and even Macau! Call it a personal preference but I think the best so far is from 兰香园 in Central, HK island though it’s a freaking HK$21!!! The next best in Singapore is from crystal jade. Sigh… but ok lah, $2 only.

When it comes to the intake of caffeine and fish, I’m certainly not as good as my mom. Oh, maybe not fish. She only enjoys buying fish cuz it’s expensive (???) and watching us eat. I can’t sleep after caffeine (I suspect even coke) too close to bedtime, which is why I started collecting phone numbers so I can call people up to chat when I suffer from insomnia.

As for my sister, she's hooked onto hitting mcdull - every day without fail.

No comments: