Friday, April 22, 2011

Visiting McDull's Gar Heung

Had the chance to travel via and to HK twice within about a month after I started work more than a month ago. Part of the fun was to fly business class. I tried both the SQ and Cathay business class and trust me, CX is no match for SQ though I used to like the airline a lot esp for travel to HK. The food (the cakes are horrible), service and even the seat (which was manual recline) were a disappointment. The saving grace was the kiwi coconut juice. No wonder it’s much cheaper! Whatever it is, I’d rather have a better pay than good flight.

SQ


CX


But no matter what food and drinks were available on flight, nothing beats the local fare.



And don't think there’s no horrible food in HK! Visit Pancakes sthg sthg (don’t rmbr name, just the horrible food, or something like Pancaks story....a horror story) and it will totally change your impression of that! They have the weirdest pizza – soft shell crab with curry and some unknown stuff. The half thin-thick crust or may be bread adds on to the weirdness. But really it was catching up with friends that mattered. And thankfully, they were with me for a memorial meal.




The good old things:



Tai cheong egg tarts



公和 in 深水埗 (hometown of McDull) – it had been so many years since I ate their beancurd! The tofu and tau pok are also fantastic! We saw so many Singaporeans there!


My favourite porridge – 生记in上环.

New Finds (introduced to me by Jace):
Pork chop noodl/eice at tai pai dong on Stanley St, Central

Hokkaido milk factory (?) on 8.F of a building on Wellington St, Central. Saw it in Causeway Bay too.

Was trying to snap a picture of a golden retriever at Causeway Bay and came across a crowd. I curiously raised my camera to take a shot and found that it was 余文乐. Actually the security officer is better looking. I prefer杜文泽whom i saw at this fantastic vegetarian restaurant at the mid levels!


And how can a HK story (SG's as well) be complete without China men and women. Saw this pair of legs in front of me in the mtr station. She waswearing large shades like a superstar. From her unique fashion sense, i could guess her roots and she affirmed that the moment she and the da shen next to her, probably her ma ma, opened their mouth. On my last evening there, i moved out of the hotel to Jace's place and we were shopping in Tsim Sha Tsui with my trolley luggage like many dozens of China folks there. The main difference was, i was at H&M while they were queuing outside the branded shops (with cash) across the road.

No comments: