Friday, April 22, 2011

In love with Taiwan (not part of China)

Had a good break in Taiwan before I started work. It was February but already getting warm. The first few days in Taichung, however, were freezing somewhere bewteen 10 to 15 deg celsius! I had been to Taipei but this time I managed to cover Taichung and Tainan as well!

Starting with the hotel, these are 2 hotels I like very much. My criteria weare location, location and location.
富春大饭店, 台中 - My friend die die refused to stay here after seeing the photos, but after a long journey from Singapore, this hotel or motel right across the Taichung rail station is the best choice! And so dirt cheap! SGD$14/pax/night! I had more money for shopping! The noise throughout the night and old furishing are not for the weak kearted. My friend was freaked out by the crack in the wall in the bathroom, sound of footsteps and running tap….as if something from the third space was with us the 4 nights we stayed there. But I didn't see much of an issue.

明日大饭店,台北 – I supposed we got the biggest room at some NT$1800 which was about SGD33/pax/night. Under 5 mins from 西门町station. Look out for the entrance into the building in which the hotel occupies 3 floors. There’s a foot massage station and manicure station downstairs when you turn into the building. Rooms are clean, spacious and cosy. Book way in advance and through phone only and ask for a room on the newly renovated 7F.


Tried new food this time – 红油抄手(basically chili oil on wonton) and 肉丸 (bak wan) from the famous 丁山肉丸 in Taichung. Honestly, they were so-so and didn't captivate me though they are Taichhung's specialty dishes.


A must-go must-try is this historical Japanese restaurant 美观园in 西门町. The sashimi was fresh and other food were equally good!


The night markets I highly recommend are:
逢甲夜市in Taichung – try the 大肠包小肠but beware of this pasta in bun thing. Long Q but yucky food. The pork cutlet is a must-try cuz even the gourmet 蔡澜 was there (on leisure) when we were queuing up.



师大夜市in Taipei – lots of cheap food in restaurants and street market. Shopping is great too.
We concluded that markets near schools are always of a higher standard cuz they need to keep their discerning customers.


Another unique place to go is Wulai. What's more satisfying than a hot spring bath in winter! The Wulai train ride is a must! Sun moon lake was different experience too.

I saw cherry blossoms first time in my life (even Wudang was fascinated!) but no sight of the white japanese sakura which could be found only on yang ming shan (mountain). The steep cable car ride was so fun even a doggy was there!



To immerse yourself in some culture, go on a FOC historical journey with Chiang Kai Shek at the Chiang Kai Shek memorial hall in Taipei. The photos were what i saw only in history textbooks! I enjoyed it more than the Gu Gong museum which has admission charges.


A short but interesting stretch of restaurants which are cheap but worth a walk, 敦南is about 10-15 mins from the flagship 24 hours 诚品bookstore.

For a relaxing breakfast and good coffee, this is the place to go - Feng Da cafe in ximending. But I suggest trying the local breakfast by the roadside too.


Am definitely going back… maybe hualien, kenting etc! Taiwan is so fun and the people are so friendly! Bubble tea cheap n nice! I like this from 50. And the shopping need I say, is the BEST! The red jacket I was wearing was only around SGD15! Only problem is i can't wash it that often cuz the (fake) fur won't be furry anymore and the drycleaning fee can be more substantial than the jacket itself.


I LOVE the oolong milk tea with small pearls and streaks (fen tiao).

No comments: