Wednesday, June 23, 2010

HK Part 2

I didn’t expect to be back in Hong Kong so soon after my visit in Oct last year, but I had a wonderful time eating, shopping and catching up with my friends. The standard of Cathay Pacific though, has dropped tremendously - headset not working, lousy food, flight delay...you name it.
Whenever I travel I try to explore new places. Even though Hong Kong is a city I’ve been to many many times, I still manage to discover new things every time – new clothes for one! And of course, my passion is always FOOD besides taking slow walks like an elderly.

Walking tours:

Fanling
Far up in the north almost next to China. Nice, historical walled villages (围村/老围- since the Qing dynasty), some of which will be demolished to make way for the rail connecting to Guangzhou or Shenzhen.

The biggest Taoist temple in HK, next to Fanling station, serves good vegetarian food.


Kowloon Walled City, Kowloon Tong
It's a park in the midst of housing estate. Suzhou-style garden built during Qing dynasty. Now just an area residents cut across after buying their veggies etc.
Wanchai
Historical churches, open market which stand in contrast right next to the city’s tallest skyscrapers.

Stanley
Go anytime but during dragoon boat festival for a nice walk by the beach n chill out at the cafes. We went right on 端午节.

Back shopping in Kwai Fong. Nice sweet coconut drink (with red bean or pearl) on overhead bridge linking the shopping paradise (a complex) and shopping mall next to it. McQuarter is in the mall!!! If in Mongkok, go to Argyle Centre for cheap clothes, though slightly more ex than kwai fong.

Food:

Hui Lau San

Well known for its mango desserts but the curry fishballs with squid and radish are equally yummy!


Yuen Long
Sheng Li beef noodles. Very QQQ beef balls and they serve great lemon + coke (冻柠乐). Lemon tea + Ribena is 冻柠宾 and so on.


Back to my favourite Japanese restaurant! Only about S$50 for a sashimi platter!

Tsim Sha Tsui
Sun Kei in dilapidated building on Granville - MUST try the cheese ramen cuz even Louis Koo n all have been there. The cheese ball ramen is my favourite, other than the pig's neck meat. Not easy to locate though. Me n my friend couldn't find this tiny shop the day b4 n ended up eating oily bee hor fun n rubbery singapore fried bee hoon.



Happy Valley
Saw paparazzis at work, taking pictures of some celebrity (we thought he looked like Ron Ng Cheuk Hei) at the atm across the road. So I took a photo of the paprazzis. Went for porridge and ‘zhar leung’ at the shop next to it n told the lady boss about our encounter. Surprisingly, she said Ron Ng is no big deal. Raymond Lam Fung and his mom popped by just last week. My HK friend then told me celebrities like Anita Yuen are regulars!

Causeway Bay
This place serves pretty nice beancurd, though I remeber I had better ones In Sham Shui Po many years back.

Sheung Wan
Fantastic porridge! And the fish cakes also nice!

Central
Shen Heung Yuen – an open air stall that sells nice ketchup soup base noodles, honey lemon crispy bun. Lots of people, nice food but overrated.

The one at Cui Hua tea restaurants is better.

Gau Kei beef noodles – very beefy and sweet! The queue outside even b4 it opened said it all.

Lin Heung Lau – one of the oldest teahouses. Go for the 60s HK atmosphere, don’t (bother to) focus on the food. Ye Shanghai in Marco Polo hotel is posh n frequented by celebrities like Edison Chan, but food is overpriced n nothing fantastic. Go if you have $ to burn.

McDonalds launched a new dip for chicken mcnuggets last week when we were there – the Singapore honey mustard sauce. We Singaporeans never knew it existed!

Probably one of the grossest posters around.


Saw McDull so very often in HK this time! He’s on a roll!!! Even endorsing Canon and Microsoft products.

Got a fakie McDull from my boss this morning. My sis refused to take it from me. Even she said she couldn’t accept anything more than the real thing. LVs can be fake, but not McDull. But I appreciate the gift.

No comments: