Thursday, May 14, 2009

BASKET!

Yesterday, my colleague from Indonesia sitting beside me asked a very interesting question, something that never occurred to me. Another colleague (a ship captain) sitting near us shouted “basket!” over the phone.

He asked very innocently “What’s the meaning of basket? Cuz I keep haring Sporeans say that.”

“It’s the basket under our desks.”

“Really? No other meaning? Is it unique to Spore?”

“I think so but I don’t know the origins. Only know that it’s a scold-people word. Maybe people meant to say ‘bast*** but couldn’t use it openly.”

“So there’s really no real meaning to it?”

There’s another colleague who always faithfully google for answers on something discussed over lunch, and then emails it to the lunch kakis. I met one of his kakis today and posted the question to him. Waiting for the most “basket” answer now.

No comments: