Monday, April 13, 2009

Penang = Assam Laksa + coffee (that’s about it)

I went to Penang over the long weekend and concluded that my takeaways are assam laksa and coffee on one extreme, and the bus terminal on the other. The walk on the deserted streets was quite relaxing. The Indians (my favourite!) and Malays were very very friendly but my own people….errr…. maybe I didn’t speak hokkien. The Penang friends and colleagues I know in Singapore are definitely not like that (at least they gave me tips for my trip and even offered me accommodation)!


Went to the glutton’s square at Gurney Drive. Remembered to snap pictures only when I almost finished eating. Recommendation – assam laksa from the 2 Thai/Philippino ladies at first stall from entrance. I thought they were Chinese and tried to pass off as a local with the accent but it turned out that they didn’t understand a word, so back to English. Next to it is Gurney Plaza run by capitaland which probably explains why it looks different from the rest (you won’t want to shop at the rest).

The famous kway tiao teng near chulia street (little india – my favourite!) was something new and could be said to be yummy. The roti babi was salivating – minced meat n vegetable filling in bread, deep fired. Actually, the name itself is enough to tempt!


Had the signature penang white coffee at Mr Pot and Georgetown Coffee. Tasted good cuz maybe I’m a evaporated milk lover. Apparently, white coffee is coffee beans from anywhere in the world (Georgetown coffee’s beans r from Rome) ground into powder, then added in the evaporated milk and labeled penang coffee.

Hot Wok Café – the nyonya restaurant highly recommended by lonely planet, the ang mohs who probably haven’t tried the best of peranakan food. Assam curry fish head and stewed pork (not biased) were nice, bedsides the décor. And can someone pls update the location? I made a wasted trip to Jln Pantai Molek at Tanjung Tokong (half an hour bus ride from my hotel in Georgetown, really Tokong!) when it is actually within walking distance on Jalan Burmah.
Yes, this IS the bus terminal (not rubbish collection point or something) behind the centre of activity Komtar shopping centre, which is like a rundown and smaller version of Bangkok’s MBK, or maybe slightly better than Singapore’s Golden Mile. But buses seem to be the best option besides our legs cuz the taxis don’t run on meter but on the mood of the driver.
I would prefer Melaka anytime, nice place with the small town, heritage feel but too bad when I went there, I wasn’t into photo taking yet. Good food too and plus the so much shorter distance: 4 hours vs 12 hours!

No, not the Daiso u see in Singapore. It's a sundry shop.

Some nice places - Penang Hill, Cheong Fatt Tze mansion and Khoo Kongsi

Of course, I had to bring my closest with me! He was worn out by the coach ride too...

The last we saw of my friend's Elmo... or is it Ernie?




No comments: